Friday, November 9, 2007

Now Playing: Bardem Kills, Cruise Shouts, Vaughn Sleighs

L I M I T E D
After Dark Horrorfest 2007 You know what's really weird to me? Market supply and demand. Horror films are unarguably successful as a mainstream genre. So... I wonder how they continue to be successful on a cult/arthouse limited editionl level also? Why is there a market for this type of mini fest when you can catch a new horror film opening basically every weekend or every other weekend all year? Shouldn't this type of "special compilation" subgenre thingamajig be for movies or genres only obsessed fans in major cities care about? Like After Crisis Women Who Lie To Themselves Roundup 2008 or maybe After Huckabees Existential Detective Comedies Gathering 2009. I'm only half joking.
No Country For Old Men If you see one movie this fall* make it this unsettling beauty from the resurgent Coen Bros (I sang Kelly Macdonald's praises yesterday at Zoom-In). Certain to be a contender for Oscars, Globes, Film Bitch Awards and more... (my initial reaction)
War/Dance a documentary about Ugandan children attending a music festival

W I D E
Fred Claus will make a bajillion dollars even if it plays like coal in your stocking. Featuring Paul Giamatti as Santa, Vince Vaughn as his brother Fred and Miranda Richardson needing a paycheck.
Lions for Lambs I hated the trailer with a passion. Now the movie is using "critics" like blurb whore Pete Hammond from Maxim to promote itself with one adjective reviews. uh oh.
P2 -I thought that this was a new videogame system or a sequel of something I hadn't heard of. It turns out to be a thriller with Wes Bentley. Can't remember the last time I saw him. Was it actually when he was singing the praises of windswept plastic bags?

What are your plans for the weekend?

* I have no idea why I just typed a blurb whore cliché like "if you see one movie this fall..." --I'm so off my game. As if film experience readers only see one movie a quarter! They're so much cooler than that.