Friday, November 16, 2007

Now Playing: Margot Sans Tact, Beowulf Sans Penis


Margot at the Wedding -The further I get away from my initial screening the more annoyed I am by this movie's stumblings. However... I'm still crazy for Nicole Kidman's maddening tactless mean-drunk Margot. God bless Kidman for challenging herself so frequently. I wish more world famous actresses would (no names necessary but a lot of them, even ones I love, stay in their comfort zones)
Redacted -Brian DePalma's scathing divisive drama on American soldiers in Iraq. As a fan of The Black Dahlia last year and also a Carrie nut, I should probably see more DePalma movies --not as familiar with his filmography as I'd like to be. Maybe it was Mission to Mars (barf) that scared me off
Southland Tales -The uncategorizable Richard Kelly oddity is finally here

The must-see in limited release is still the Coen Bros No Country For Old Men (prev post) starring Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin. It added 120 theaters yesterday so keep an eye out. Maybe you'll get it soon. My prediction: this certain Oscar contender will amass the most top ten list citations of any film this year (with Ratatouille as a close rival)


Love in the Time of Cholera -Javier Bardem again. Busy man.
Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium -Commercials for this movie rot my teeth

Beowulf -My full review is up at Zoom-In and there's two previous posts about it if you scroll down. I'm anxious to hear your feedback. It's discussable, so chime in. Extra credit points to any film experiencers who send us photos of themselves wearing those 3D glasses! We'll make a collage.