Sunday, November 25, 2007

Oscar Voters to Face Impossible Sophies Choice

Now that David Poland has broken the news that Cate Blanchett will be Oscar campaigned as a lead for I'm Not There, I fear for the mental and physical health of Academy voters everywhere. When faced with two frontrunners (Blanchett's Bob Dylan & Marion Cotillard's Edith Piaf) both performing Oscar's unarguably favorite parlor trick --"ohmygod, look at that famous person transforming into an entirely different famous person!!!"-- will their biopic loving heads literally explode while staring at their ballots? The horror. I'm suddenly imagining an Oscar ceremony directed by David Cronenberg.

pssst. I'm aware I'm growing tiresome on the mimicry topic but as long as Oscar overindulges their biases in this direction, I'll feel free to overindulge mine in the opposite one.