Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Don't be deeply vexed...

...but there's no episode of Best Pictures From the Outside In tomorrow. We know you were ready to pump your fists for all that mansweat on the high seas (Mutiny on the Bounty) and in coliseums (Gladiator) but you'll have to wait. We don't want to risk too much in the way of your collective imperial wrath so Nick, Mike and I will work valiantly to bring you two episodes within the next 7 days so we can get back on track. By next Wednesday we'll have relived Gladiator, American Beauty, Mutiny on the Bounty and The Great Ziegfeld.

I on the other hand am deeply vexed. In my Film Experience bubble I sometime forget that the vast majority of peoples don't know anything about movies and don't care very much about them beyond maybe how awesome Batman is or how good two hours of air conditioning can feel in the summer whilst watching things blow up. I was telling a new co-worker a funny story about watching It Happened One Night (prev post) on the train on the way to DC last week and she became so distracted by what I was watching that she missed the whole story. Her face just went blank.

"It Happened One What?
"From the 1930s !?!?!?"
"You mean, like, a black and white movie?"

This wasn't even the point of the story (which was about some stranger watching the entire thing over my shoulder) but the movie itself made this into the most bizarre story she'd heard. Every muscle in her normally animated face seemed to grow quiet with the unasked question 'Who rents seventy-five year old black & white movies?'. We get along great but at that moment I swear she thought I was from another planet.

To further burst my cinephile bubble, I was trying to rent Mutiny on the Bounty here in DC (Netflix was having problems) and I can share with you that none of the highly skilled workers at DC area Blockbusters had ever heard of it. Two of them even asked me to spell "Mutiny".

What a world.
*