Monday, August 18, 2008

I Link the Body Electric

I'm Gonna Link Forever...
Empire apparently after 28 years it's time for a Fame sequel.
Cinemavistaramascope Title Card (I love this series)
David Bordwell asks where the superhero movie craze came from? Comic books aren't exactly widely read.
My New Plaid Pants Harry Potter's Equus moment. Again.
All About My Movies lists the "cutest" films - not a list you see every day
Shoot the Projectionist 24 words on In Bruges and they're all spot on.

Belated Birthdays
Band of Thebes
celebrates the work of Herb Ritts on a birthday I should've noted.
Stale Popcorn celebrates Madonna's 50th in a big way. Top 100 songs. Woot. My list would be so different but that mass of material to choose from is really something, is it not? Meanwhile Victim of the Time keeps his list to 50. I don't have time to join them but for the record my 2 favorite Madonna songs are Erotica and Like a Prayer... with roughly 25 others tied for #3 and 50 others tied fighting for the other top ten spots. That's how much bliss there is to choose from.

"Blinkered Fanboy"
That'd be me. Nothing Sacred and Jürgen Fauth both have issues with people who love Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Woody himself. Ah well. For the record: I don't need to "pretend" to like VCB or Match Point. I just genuinely do. This kind of reminds me of the time when Husbands and Wives came out and everybody was so busy hating Woody Allen for his questionable personal life and hard-to-miss problems with women that they forgot to notice how good the movie was. As for Allen's misogyny, I'm personally much more bothered by auteurs who just don't care about women at all (Chris Nolan, etcetera) than filmmakers who have massive hangups about them (Woody Allen, Alfred Hitchcock, etcetera). Slant also really hates the film... seeing its representation of two wealthy educated artistically inclined young women and their dalliances as somehow indicative of a statement that All Men are pillars and All Women are confused, which... well, it confuses me. I can't see anything that distastefully universal in the ultra specifics of this film.
*