Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I Can't Smell What Darren Aronofsky Is Cooking

JA from MNPP here. Via the Venice Film Festival comes a bunch of new stills from several high-profile future films, including Nat's Best Actress premonition-riddled Rachel Getting Married; Charlize (oh my Charlize) Theron's film directed by Babel-scribe Guillermo Arriaga, The Burning Plain; the Iraq-doc The Hurt Locker; Miyazaki's next classic-to-be Ponyo on the Cliff...

But most importantly to me are these first images from Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler, which... well I just can't get a handle of what this movie is going to be. Here's a pair o' pics from the gallery:


And all they're doing is further confounding me. Not that anything involving Mickey Rourke these days manages anything other than confounding me. But still. What is this movie? We've got Nat's pal Marisa Tomei shaking her moneymaker, Rourke slathered in gore... don't get me wrong, I'm pleased to bits that we're getting an Aronofsky movie so close on the heels of his last - I was worried he'd slip into Paul Thomas "two movies a decade" Anderson territory - but still, I can't work out what this one is gonna be.

Which I suppose is a good thing. If even Griffin Mill might have a hard time compressing your movie into the easy blank-meets-blank template, then you're probably doing something right.
.