Friday, August 22, 2008

Six Reasons To Love Anna Faris

JA from MNPP here. Aren't y'all excited? Inevitable powerhouse cinematic achievement for the ages The House Bunny comes out today! Set down your Oscar prognosticating pie-charts and graphs - the race is over. Finito. Meryl who?

Seriously though, I love me some Anna Faris. Over at my home blog, we're often singing the praises of her and I know Nat has weighed in with appreciation of her before. The majority of moviegoers are probably aware of her from her turn as Cindy, the hapless horror-show main character in the Scary Movie movies.... but there are other reasons why I love Anna Faris. Here are six:

Lashawn in Brokeback Mountain - The most memorable moment of sunshine in the second half of Brokeback - hell, maybe the only moment of sunshine in that second half, once the weight of the world has torn Jack and Ennis' love down - belongs to Faris, as the non-stop chatterbox Lashawn, who's too busy spouting nonsense to take note of her husband's... new friendship.

Kelly the actress in Lost in Translation - I don't care if Sofia Coppola stays mum on this topic forever - Faris was delivering one ruthless Cameron Diaz impersonation here.

Samantha James in Just Friends - This terrible movie has two things going for it... two things that've made me sit through it mroe times than I can count. One, it has Ryan Reynolds, and I have sat through so much crap just to stare at him it could probably be classified as criminal negligence with respect to my own life and the alloted hours I have left on Earth. And two, it has Anna Faris' whacked-out-of-her-mind role as Sam James, Faris' hilarious riff on pop tarts like Britney Spears.

The deliriously profane lesbian Polly she played in the under-appreciated 2002 horror gem May. "Maybe we can hang out... eat some melons."

Smiley Face - Without Faris, this movie wouldn't exist. There is no discernible plot, or reason for even existing, besides to act as a platform upon which to marvel at the hilarity Faris can wring from an astonishing galleria of extremely-stoned facial expressions. And the movie gets funnier the more times you watch it. Trust me. I have watched this movie many times.

That part in the trailer for The House Bunny where she tries to act out Marilyn Monroe's iconic subway-grate skirt blow-up... with horrifying results.

Unsurprisingly, the film's not doing too well review-wise, but isn't late August the perfect time to revel a lil' bit in some broad dumb comedy? (Or do I mean "dumb broad" comedy?) Plus it's got Kat "Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist" Dennings and Emma "Superbad" Stone in it - they're hip with the kids, right? At least it does appear that even the less-than-kind reviews are giving good notices to Faris, which makes me happy. I've been cheerleading her forever now, and I will not stop until she's making the sorts of money that Will Ferrell makes. Faris forever!
.