Sunday, October 12, 2008

Penélope. Predictions. Pacing.

It's just two months (minus one day) until the Golden Globe nominations are announced. The year is speeding up with casualties (Blindness, Miracle at St. Anna's) and "how far can they go?" entries (Happy-Go-Lucky, Rachel Getting Married, Frozen River, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, The Duchess) now available for public consumption. Whenever real contenders from early in the year are starting to spin in DVD players (The Visitor, Iron Man) you know the gun has fired on awards season and some contenders are already sprinting towards that distant finish line. Pace yourselves people! October to January is a marathon.

Tangent: Doesn't Penélope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona) feel lock'ish now, with so few supporting actress contenders yet in play? Sometimes it pays to be first out of the gate.

From this weekend forward there's nary a week without a new hopeful emerging. I've started revising the prediction pages. As for the Actress Psychic Contest... (sigh) I know I've been remiss this year but my excel skills are not up to the task and my magical elf from last year has been curiously unavailable. He's avoiding me! Why doesn't he want to spend hours inputting nonsensical formulas into spreadsheets for me? Why I ask you, why??? I keep saying "soon" on the point totals and I mean it. But I'm turning into the boy who cried wolf. Forgive and be patient.