Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Happy Birthday, Claudia Wilson Gator

.

By whom I mean Melora Walters, the actress who played that character in Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia, who turns 40 today. I know PTA's films - and especially Magnolia - can be a divisive bunch, even around these parts, but Walters will forever and always be etched into my brain as Claudia, swooping across the dinner table to kiss John C. Reilly in a fit of coke-fueled abandon and then mere seconds later asking if he'd mind never seeing her again.

Of course, she might be etched into my memory as that character since, looking through the films she's made since then there are only two things she's been in that I've seen - The Butterfly Effect and Cold Mountain - both of which I have taken great efforts to wipe from my memory.

Apparently she's a recurring character on Big Love though? I do wish I watched that show.

Anyway, a very happy 40th birthday to Melora! I would mind it if I never saw you again! Maybe PTA will use some of his regulars again whenever he decides to make another movie and I can look forward to seeing you there.

PS - Happy Birthday, Princess Leia!