Friday, January 9, 2009

My Supporting Actress Ballot

I hope you were here last Sunday for my ode to EVE in WALL•E as one of the best female "performances" of the year. I was joking but I'm completely serious about that great film's achievements... in multiple areas, too (I am sad that it will be passed over for a Best Picture nomination in two week's time. I've seen WALL•E three times and each time it improves). So, let's get serious now and talk Best Supporting Actress ballots ...sans robots.


For the Oscar race, I'm predicting Penélope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona), Viola Davis (Doubt), Taraji P Henson (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler) and Kate Winslet (The Reader). It'll be a respectable list. But it's not my list.

The awards season races are always interesting but they can be so misleading when it comes to representing a film year. The field gets narrowed very quickly... and there are usually more than five noteworthy everything in a year. This is why I love StinkyLulu's annual blog-a-thon so much -- it honors so many women. In the interest of overkill, here's a grid of my 20 favorite Supporting Actresses performances this year (in no particular order)



But here's what I finally settled on for my ballot.
___________Return and tell me what yours would say.

This weekend: Actor, Director and Supporting Actor