Saturday, January 24, 2009

Seen Any Good Movies Read Any Good Books Lately?

From mid January to mid February I rarely go to movies. Oscar season is, oddly enough, my only real break for moviegoing (though I'm still busy writing). I've been in a reading mood. Any suggestions?


I'm planning to read Chéri before the Pfeiffer movie arrives. I've already read Coraline (l-o-v-e-d) and The Lovely Bones (good book but I worry about the movie) which will both be hitting screens in 2009. I usually like to read books before I see the movies adapted from them.

I'm currently three books into this Vampire Earth series. Though my favorite books are usually the critically acclaimed /classic sort (some all time favs: The Great Gatsby, Beloved, The Road, Animal Farm, The Body Artist, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, Le Petit Prince) more often than not I end up reading any old scifi / fantasy paperback. This particular series is a post-apocalyptic yarn. It's not vampires in the typical sense at all but I like it. I suppose my reading habits are quite like those mainstream moviegoing habits that I bitch about. Unless I've heard great things about a particular book I just stay in my comfort zone. I'm like those people who only go to big action movies or bad comedies with household name stars. Isn't that terrible?

How about you? What are you reading right now?
And what one book do you think everyone should grab and read immediately?