Friday, July 3, 2009

Penélope's Embraces (and Other Wonders)

The new trailer to Almodóvar's Broken Embraces is up over at Guardian. Looks terrific and much like other Pedro gems such as Law of Desire and Bad Education it appears to be cinematic in all senses of the word (visually, thematically, environmentally).


It's less than two minutes long but it gives the impression that the whole movie consists of shots of Penélope Cruz through screens, mirrors, doorways and her own hair. Which is maybe the best thing a movie could consist of these days. It opens Stateside in 140 days but many of you overseas readers have already had the opportunity to see it. I'm green with envy but wearing red in keeping with the Almodóvar theme.

Links
Film Doctor on the movie love within Public Enemies
Animation World Nancy Cartwright (Bart Simpson!) interviews Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Ratatouille) about his caree. He even discussed Family Dog (pictured left) at length, which is one of my favorite cartoons in the whole wide world, and new live action film 1906.
Pop Hangover "the all new Fleetwood MacBook"
Hollywood Reporter Wim Wenders halts production on Pina Bausch dance film. I hope they restart later as a last tribute.
Vodkaster makes a subway map of the IMDb Top 250. Cool idea. I shall eventually explore. [thx]

And finally, the The Moment has a piece on the fan community's digital relationship with movies, home edits and what not. I actually found this one hard to read (formatting, too much info... I'm not sure). But it got me to thinking about my favorite fanmade "supercut" . It's my favorite because it's basically like hearing my thoughts spoken aloud and it doesn't require typing.
*