Thursday, June 18, 2009

Streep Nom #2, 1979

An open discussion thread for each of Streep's nominations. The nominees for 1979 were...

  • Jane Alexander, Kramer vs. Kramer
  • Barbara Barrie, Breaking Away
  • Candice Bergen, Starting Over
  • Mariel Hemingway, Manhattan
  • Meryl Streep, Kramer vs. Kramer
...and Meryl won. The first of her two (only two. sigh) Oscar wins. As a little kid I was really into Breaking Away because my sister was in love with it... and I worshipped everything my big sister loved. Barrie was quite an endearing presence as the cycling nut's mom. Hemingway and Streep are my favorite among the nominees these days. The Golden Globe lineup went 3/5 with Oscar, trading out Mariel and Barbara for Valerie Harper in Chapter Two and Kathleen Beller in Promises in the Dark... yes that Kathleen Beller, "Kirby Colby" from Dynasty for your 80s nostalgia freaks! I personally still wonder if Oscar ought to have thrown a nomination towards crazy-eyed, long-legged, codependent dancing freak Ann Reinking in All That Jazz (more on her performance here).



Which performances are you most crazy about from 1979 and how close did Oscar get to your dream ballot?