Friday, June 5, 2009

Donut World


Today is National Donut Day. I knew it and then I forgot it and then I passed by a rack of donuts at the grocery store not one hour ago. Aren't you thrilled to have a play-by-play of my life!? Well, aren't you? I opted not to buy them thinking "Sugar is not the answer, Nathaniel!"

See, I've been totally depressed. Like, Laura Brown depressed (yeah, that bad), which is totally an appropriate screen comparative because it's my birthday tomorrow and you know how much trouble Laura Brown had with that cake. That damn cake that she just couldn't get right!

If Toni Collette were to drop by for a cup of coffee right now, I'm reasonably certain I would try to make out with her.

So sugar isn't the answer even if it is Donut Day.

Maybe Mars Attacks! is the answer? I should watch it right now. It's not quite Tim Burton's funniest movie, that honor going to Pee Wee's Big Adventure, but it's surprisingly strong competition. If I only had a copy of the movie handy, I would run back to the grocery store and kick back with a whole mess of those deep fried rounds.


I'd lift a donut to salute Lukas Haas each time he appears. He seems like a sad fellow even in happy movies, even surrounded by donuts in Donut World, and misery loves company.
*