Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Strathairn on My Mind

When I woke up this morning, David Strathairn popped into my brain. Totally unbidden. Before I'd even had coffee! Usually I can't master anything other than the basic motor skills required for that beeline to the coffee maker and the shower (uh...not in the same place).

First thing in the morning and I'm thinking about his crazy big hair in the 80s and that time in 2008 when I sat four seats away from him at the Walter Reade and was too scared to say anything. Then the mind drifted to his enviable pairings with far more famous actresses onscreen (Kathy Bates, Meryl Streep, Sigourney Weaver and Debra Winger among them), to his supporting cast ubiquity for 30 years and finally to that welcome LEAD (gasp) Oscar nomination for Good Night, and Good Luck. Few Oscar nominations this decade have been as satisfying. It was clearly for that one role (biographical performance and film carrying gravitas) but I pretended it was a career thank you, too!

So enjoy these photos from his fansite*



When a song is stuck in your head it's sometimes a good idea to sing it to move passed it. I find that posting photos of things that are on my brain is a good way to purge them, too.

Not that Strathairn needs to be purged! I hope he keeps working till he dies. Can someone give him another lead role as good as Edward R Murrow?

*I find it oddly fascinating which actors and actresses have good fansites and which don't. If you're not a mega star, it requires a computer savvy obsessed fan (usually under a certain age). So many 70s and 80s A listers don't have good websites, while completely minor and forgettable C listers from the 00s have big ones.