Friday, August 7, 2009

Streep at 60: Julie & Julia

Bonjour! My weekly column at Towleroad is up in which I fall for the trap of using food puns to talk about Julie & Julia. Hey, my life is as bifurcated as this movie lately. I'm working with tight windows of time here and the food words are so easy to sprinkle and stir into the review batter. Consider this the last review for my dormant "Streep at 60" series which I will continue when I can finally find a free day.

The Review
If you generally catch dinner after your weekend movie, rethink the order before catching Julie & Julia. It'll help you passively enjoy this foodie's dream movie rather than drooling on it actively. Though the movie shares its title with Julie Powell's blog-turned-novel "Julie & Julia" which chronicled her attempt to cook all of the recipes in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking", the narrative is doubled. The movie version also includes the origin story of Julia Child as she journeyed from culinary student to famous chef. The parallels between Powell (Amy Adams) and Child (Meryl Streep) are broadly and pleasurably drawn by the movie: two restless women with devoted, patient husbands, find self-fulfillment through cooking. And cooking. And cooking some more. I suspect the double stuffed film will be easiest to enjoy while leisurely digesting.

If there's a missing ingredient in the movie's fun recipe, it's dramatic conflict...

*