Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Best Auteur-Made Experimental Improvised Independent Film of 2002

Rob here, looking back at 2002. At the end of each year, if you're like me, you assess. Best Overall Film? Best Comedy? Best Documentary? and of course Best Auteur-Made Experimental Improvised Independent Film. Now each year that last category could have dozens of possibilities. But in 2002, the clear winner was Gerry



Gerry was the first film in Gus Van Sant's Death Trilogy and follows two friends named Gerry (Matt Damon and Casey Affleck) lost in the desert as they wander around and around.

No one is going to accuse Gerry of being the best film of 2002. It lacks a certain... gravitas that most people require for that distinction. Even though I must say as time passes those who've seen it seem to like it more and more. Best or not, Gerry is just so damn interesting, and rather charming. Among other things it's interesting how Van Sant can make the sound of rocks and sand under walking feet go from a rather pleasant ambient-noise to a slow harbinger of doom. Among other things it's charming how Damon and Affleck can pull off dialogue like that "I crows-nested up here to scout about the ravine when you Gerried the rendezvous" to explain how Affleck finds himself on the top of a huge rock formation.



In fact the more I think about Gerry, the more I ask myself things like "why shouldn't it be a contender for the best of the year?" (also "why can't I use my name as a verb?"). Heck it's enough to make me suggest that when it came to respect, recognition and accolades in 2002, Gerry got downright Robbed.
*