Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Best Actress Five. Is Anyone Vulnerable?

At first I was a bit weirded out that SAG nominations could no longer work as a bellwether of shifting awards-season winds since all of the precursors were mashed together into one week's time. But what winds could shift anyway? Though we won't see the results until February 2nd, Oscar ballots go out to AMPAS members next week. With no real time lag to speak of (we hear that most Academy members return their ballots quickly) I don't think we should expect surprises, particularly because there was so very much agreement between the precursors.

~ Streep | Mulligan | Sidibe | Bullock | Mirren ~
three real life characters and two fresh young actresses. typical!


That sort of kills the suspense in Best Actress (I've thought the "win" was settled for quite awhile -- Streeps third -- but I did expect more drama as to who the final five would be) but not every year can be exciting. I can only imagine four possible spoiler nominees but I'd be quite surprised to see any of them actually pull it off. Visit the new refurbished BEST ACTRESS page for more. Discuss!

related: new podcast
*