Thursday, December 10, 2009

Monster Movies

Glenn here from Stale Popcorn here to discuss one of my favourite films from 2003, Patty Jenkins' Monster. Earlier this year when Courtney Hunt's Frozen River was released here in Australia I wrote in my review that
It's a shame that Courtney Hunt's Frozen River is so good. It's unfortunate because now I will most likely be incredibly disappointed when this debut director falls between the cracks of the lead performance she helped create.
I then went on to cite Boys Don't Cry's Kimberley Pierce (9 years between films) and Monster as examples.


Patty Jenkins has yet to make a second film after her Monster debut and there has never even been any word on her wanting to make another film. That is such a shame since she brought such fascinating sense of place to the Aileen Wuornos film and her twists on the idea of "American Gothic" - queering it up in a way - are endlessly interesting.

Of course, Charlize Theron was the reason people were going to see this movie and not for Jenkins' ruminations on shattered mid-American dreams and theories on gender/sexual politics. I can't say I disagree with them about Theron, she's simply amazing. My estimation of her performance has actually gone up since I first saw it (a time when I ranked it below Toni Collette, Uma Thurman and Jamie Lee Curtis... hmm, not so sure about that anymore). It's one of those monolithic performances akin to Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive, Tilda Swinton in Julia and Laura Dern in INLAND EMPIRE.


Many people don't care for - or outwardly hate - Christina Ricci in Monster, not me so much. I liked her naivety and the way that Ricci looks as if she can't hide her astonishment at what Charlize is doing directly opposite her. Plus that scene towards the end of the film over the telephone? Gets me every time.

Have you watched Monster again in the intervening years? If so... thoughts?