Monday, December 7, 2009

Category Straddlers

I'm feeling very mellow about the dread topic of 'category fraud' this year. I guess the Academy's refusal to ignore that "supporting" call on Kate Winslet in The Reader last time around gave me hope that other people are over it now that it's egregious misuse has become such a regular occurence. At any rate, there's always been a fine line for some roles between what we'd define as "supporting" and "lead". I'd love to know your opinion of the following roles and where you'd place them if you'd never heard a thing about "campaigns"
  • Melanie Laurent, Christoph Waltz and Brad Pitt in Inglourious Basterds
  • Anthony Mackie in The Hurt Locke
  • Woody Harrelson in The Messenger
  • Christian McKay in Me and Orson Welles
  • Jake Gyllenhaal in Brothers

If you've seen the movies, I hope you'll help me with these tiebreaker cases.
*