Friday, July 11, 2008

Love Musicals?

Yippeeeee! It's the "Musical of the Month"


I miss group love-ins and I miss musicals (haven't watched one in too long). I was tired of blog-a-thons but a movie o' the month is like a mini-thon only more reg'lar like and therefore (theoretically) less planning / scheduling / brainstorming heavy. Horror fans have Final Girl's great "Film of the Month" party (I'm going to pipe in this month for The Car (1977) I think. Why not stretch?). But what do fans of song and dance get? Zip! So The Film Experience will be correcting that. On the 6th of every month, we'll cover one and link up to any musically inclined or stretching blogs who want to speak out on their "Secret Love" (i.e. musicals)

August 6th Calamity Jane (1953)
Why Calamity Jane? Why not?! I'm not that familiar with Doris Day and I didn't want to kick it off with a musical people still talk about consistently. Who knows... maybe we'll even get Deadwood fans participating' for contemporary comparison's sake.


If you'd like to join the Musical of the Month club shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you a reminder as we get closer. On the day of the 'big bonanza musical extravaganza', I'll link up to all participating blogs/sites. Just like a blog-a-thon which I'm pretending this isn't. So there. (If you plan to participate feel free to place any of these images or animated gifs on your blog or webpage to advertise your participation)

Otherwise... Yes I am aware that I still have a backlog of movies I promised to write about --namely Maurice, A Touch of Evil, Moulin Rouge!, Sweet Bird of Youth, Darling, Jeunet & Caro and Julia... My goal is to get to all of them before August 29th. Somehow. Then and only then can The Film Experience arise from the ashes of backlog like the glorious phoenix it wants and deserves to be.