Saturday, August 2, 2008

Forgetting Sarah Who?

I try to forgive movies I see on airplanes or in hotel rooms on account of distracting viewing circumstances and aspect ratio foibles and whatnot. Watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night and... I don't get it. Please to explain?

Kristen Bell, so fine on Veronica Mars, is only half there. Jason Segel so adorably hapless in Freaks and Geeks is giving a good performance (you can see the degrees of depression) but doesn't do so with much star flair. Bell's rocker boyfriend and Segel's wisecracking step-brother are there for the comic relief but laugh out loud not so much. For a comedy it's so mellow. One character (Jonah Hill's) talks about weed the moment you meet him and it seems to me that the whole movie is loving the cannabis. It thinks its funnier than it is (maybe I needed the moviegoing crowds to boost the laugh ratio?). It's mellow. It gave me the munchies.

Freaks and Geeks > 40 Year Old Virgin > Knocked Up > Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I realize I'm just scratching the surface of this troupe of friends output but is there a diminishing returns problem going on with the Judd Apatow gang?
*