Monday, March 16, 2009

1994 Retrospective

That Forrest Gump conversation got me thinking about the films of 1994 and which ones I love and which I... do not. Let's compare notes by taking a trip back through awardage and top ten lists.


The Academy chose: Forrest Gump, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show and Shawshank Redemption as the year's best. Bullets Over Broadway was the probable chaser (in that dread 6th spot) with a whopping 7 nominations tying Hannah and Her Sisters for the most ever for a Woody Allen feature. The Golden Globes loved the Oscar choices but with more nominees they also presented The Lion King, Legends of the Fall, Nell, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Pret a Porter and Ed Wood for your consideration.

The public's favorite films back then? Forrest Gump, The Lion King, True Lies, The Santa Clause and The Flintstones.

Siskel and Ebert were all up in Hoop Dreams grill (with mucho shared love for Pulp Fiction, too, which took lots of critics prizes)

Me? Gold to Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures, silver to Pulp Fiction and bronze to La Reine Margot which I remembering being absolutely gaga for back then thinking it a full bodied hot blooded vividly realized historical epic. I haven't seen it since. Bad me! More of my retroactive makeshift awardage for 1994 here. Subject to change should I ever revisit any of these movies. The movie I saw the most that year in theaters was Reality Bites (four times) unless you count all the times I snuck into a scene or three from Pulp Fiction. The movie from '94 that I have probably watched the most times since? Bullets Over Broadway. It gets funnier every year. How does it do that?

You? What are your favorite movies from 1994 and which do you think we should all be revisiting or adding to our queues if we've never seen them?