Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hump Day Hottie, Carla Gugino

Will someone please explain to me how Carla Gugino has been relegated to playing drunken senior citizens (see Watchmen). Carla Gugino! She is a spry sexy 37 year-old... only 7 years older than screen daughter Malin Akerman and as far as I can tell a far better actress, too.


Not that Watchmen showcases that (Zach Snyder doesn't appear to be an actor's director in any appreciable way). But I wish she had played Silk Spectre II instead of I. Given her willingness to bare her slamming bod and her frank sexual screen presence, I'm fairly certain she would have sucked on Billy Crudup's radioactive blue fingers most convincingly. And if Patrick Wilson is going to thrust away bare assed at someone that isn't Kate Winslet, it should have been her. I'm certain of it.

That said and perhaps overstated, I couldn't exactly call myself a loyal Carla fan: I've never seen Spy Kids or Karen Sisco or... well, I actually haven't seen that much of her so perhaps I'm wrong to assume the best. Yet I always straighten a little in my seat when I see her in a scene. She generally steals it from those sidelined bit roles she gets. I'm thinking primarily of her forthright counsellor in The Lookout, her angry ex-wife in American Gangster, that messy/lusty friend in Center of the World or her lesbian officer in Sin City... if you ask me she nailed the latter film's difficult tone better than almost any actress involved. Plus she didn't let Mickey Rourke take her scenes for himself. That's a feat considering how terrific he was in the movie [a medalist right here]. And then there's always her agent in underwear on Entourage to ogle. Yes I like my women bossy onscreen.

I want to see her in a plum big demanding role in a prestige picture just once. Just a guess but I bet she'd devour the scenery. *