Sunday, March 22, 2009

"Actress Psychic" Round 3

We begin very soon.

I've put up an in progress page of possible options for Oscar's Best Actress shortlist next January. I'll need your predictions between March 25th and March 30th... but until that window opens, let me know if I've forgotten any leading ladies. If you don't know what the hell I'm talking 'bout, see last year's contest and join us for Round 3. My own Oscar predictions for '09 will be up on 04/01

<--- Meryl Streep on the set of Nancy Meyer's as yet untitled romantic comedy. Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin will compete for her love. That's three very funny actors for one romantic comedy. Cross your fingers that Meyers provides a solid foundation for them to build on.

2009 should be quite busy here at The Film Experience, what with the decade coming to a close a new reviewing gig (more on that later), festivals and my mania for listing. I've been getting mail about various "decade in review" pieces in the works elsewhere but mine probably won't begin until early Fall. Need time to devise the diabolical master plan [insert evil laugh]. In the meantime though, while we're on the recent but retro tip, check out this piece from Fin de Cinema on François Ozon's Water Drops on Burning Rocks. That's a good picture and as good a place as any to start looking back on cinema in the Aughts.