Monday, March 30, 2009

"Van Gock"

"Van Goch! Did you hear that? She said
'Van Goch'. Like an Arab she spoke."
-Woody Allen Manhattan
Today marks the 156th anniversary of the birth of one Vincent Van Gogh. Strangely I've never seen any of the film versions of his life. Neither Robert Altman's Theo and Vincent (1990) nor the César lauded French biopic Van Gogh (1991). Not even the Oscar winning Lust For Life (1956) with Kirk Douglas. Have you? The only time I've seen him portrayed onscreen was by none other than Martin Scorsese in Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (1990). Kurosawa began as a painter so perhaps the affinity was born there. Dreams was my first Kurosawa and I saw it, believe it or not, in Japanese with Norwegian subtitles. Not that the language barriers mattered with such a visual film... Oh and don't freak -- I've since rectified my former Kurosawalessness.

What were we talking about? Oh, Van Gogh. I'm of the opinion that we don't have enough crazy artists any more... particularly in the movies. Which movie people do you think are crazy enough to cut off an ear?

Some suggestions in the comments include Uwe Boll and Joaquin Phoenix (naturally), Harvey Weinstein (good call!), Terrence Malick's agent (ha!), Brad Pitt (hmmm. even missing an ear the beauty would be undiminished), Kathleen Turner (hey now! Leave my Kathleen alone) and these two...


Paul Outlaw thinks Vincent Gallo might inspire fears for ears. Alexa disagrees. And Wayne B's evil thoughts go straight to Dakota Fanning (?!?)
I could see [her] cutting off an ear as long as it'll guarantee her an Oscar before she turns 20; that way she'll beat Marlee Matlin's record.
Dakota's focus apparently freaks Wayne out. Does it freak him out enough to...

I promise this is the last birthday post of the day. I'm tired of March. I need a fresh start. Be over March! Be over.