Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pfanboyism

Last week's top ten of Most Overdue for Oscar Wins got a lot of people going (119 comments). And it's interesting to me that the readers choice poll ranking is going to be quite different. Seems that 'round the web my confiscating of Peter O'Toole (on account of that honorary Oscar) was an unpopular move and that my #1 choice was deemed an act of Pfandom rather than a discerning view in linking articles... which is fine. I am a total Pfan. 'tis true. I try to curtail my general fannishness to some degree when I do this type of piece though it occasionally gets the better of me. I'm aware that I gushed too much in those Kristin Scott Thomas and Amy Adams interviews. Oops. I suddenly feel terribly hypocritical for bitching about James Lipton's creepy drooling all those years on Inside The Actor's Studio (I still can't finish an episode). As it turns out it's a bit difficult to be machinelike and unaffected in the presence of celebrity. Who knew ? ;)

Anyway, it's interesting to me that Pfeiffer's long screen absence seems to have obliterated the strides she made in the late 80s, when the media/industry/public suddenly realized she was a great actress rather than only a great beauty. Public perception now seems to be great beauty who happens to act/used to act. If you rest you rust... or, at the very least, you appear to have rusted. Either way, the moral is the same: you have to stay in the game to win it.