Monday, March 16, 2009

Fast Eddie Fathered Carrie White

.
JA from MNPP here. I watched The Hustler yesterday for the first time, and every time Piper Laurie was on-screen (as Eddie's usually-sloshed lover Sarah) all I could hear was the future echo of that career-defining "roadhouse whiskey" speech Laurie would give 15 years later in Carrie. What do we really know of Carrie's father after all? Just that he puts his drunken hands all over her mother Margaret and Margaret liked it, she liked it!!!


Sarah liked it so much that when Eddie recommended she get treatment for her drinking problem, she she slid into his arms and slurred "I'm getting my treatment right here."


I hear ya, sister. That's some treatment.

When was the last time you couldn't watch one performance by an actor without it being colored and reshaped by another performance of theirs that's so iconic to you that it infiltrates their every cinematic moment that you see?


Piper will just always be Margaret White to me, and St. Sebastien bless her for it.
.