Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Curio: Odes to Tippi Hedren

Alexa from Pop Elegantiarum here. Maybe I'm just in Mad Men withdrawal, but lately I've been watching films from the early 60s with a closer eye to the fashion, mores, and themes of the time. After catching Marnie recently, I decided that Tippi Hedren is the closest Betty Draper doppelganger; with Hitchcock she had the same icy model facade hiding an unravelled interior. (Check out this old magazine with Tippi; modeling and horses, how very Betty!) Here are some crafty celebrations of the icon that I'm loving right now.


I really dig this chunky Tippi statement necklace by Melissa Loschy. She literally gives her wings. (And she's made some jewelry odes to Hitchcock, too.)


I especially fell in love with this fantastic Halloween costume awaitingdawn posted recently. A bird attack chapeau! Why didn't I think of that? And if anyone can come up with a Marnie costume idea for next year, let me know. Something involving a horse, perhaps?