Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ari Folman on Waltz With Bashir

Sage advice for all storytellers: Start strong. Waltz With Bashir certainly does. *woof woof*

26 raging dogs terrorize a man in Waltz With Bashir's opening dream sequence

Have you seen it yet? (In the comments: What movies grabbed you with their very first moments this past year?)

When I met Ari Folman, shortly before the holiday break I was conscious of starting strong myself. I heard him mention to his publicist that he was on his 700th interview (that's probably not an exaggeration given how long Waltz With Bashir has been working the festival and awards circuit) so when I sat down I threw out this opening volley "Which question are you most sick of answering?" I planned to scratch it comically off my note pad should I have planned to ask it. He made me guess. I failed but it was a good ice breaker as we chatted about his movie. Turns out he's been asked "Why animation?" too many times in reference to this war memories documentary. He always intended Bashir to be an animated film... even before one word was written.

I met with him for Tribeca Film and here's the piece.

Related Pages:
Animated and Foreign Language Film Oscar Races, Golden Globes, National Society of Film Critics Win
*
*
*