Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"The Actresses Are All Right". Best Actress Next Year?

The Oscar ceremony wrapped a mere 72 hours ago. If you look closely you can probably still see the impression of Sandra Bullock's grip on her Oscar. So it's time to start thinking about next year's Best Actress.

Would that I were kidding!
Oh the life of the obsessive. Now, I won't be unveiling TFE's annual year-in-advance predictions until April 1st (April 1st... April Fools. cuz it's foolish, get it?) as is the tradition but that doesn't mean I haven't started thinking about them. And whether or not I'll do some sort of contest this year, despite the stumble last year. So I thought I'd share this brief chat I had with Guy Lodge (In Contention) as a sidebar during The Oscar Symposium a couple weeks ago.

Guy: All I'll say is that I'm CONVINCED I've seen two of next year's Best Actress nominees already.
Nathaniel: Which ones?
Guy: Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone and whichever of The Kids Are All Right ladies comes out on top.
Nathaniel: I can't believe I didn't see that [Winter's Bone] at Sundance. Dumb me.
Guy: Small distributor needs to push hard there but it's such a mammoth performance, plus she's young and hot... it was all people were talking about at Berlin.
Nathaniel: Young and Hot plus Mammoth = winner.

But I'm not convinced about The Kids Are All Right. I think there's so many things that could go wrong there, campaign wise.
Guy: Yeah, but I think they've done the right thing going for a summer release.
Nathaniel: I'm rooting for The Bening.
Guy: I prefer Moore.
Nathaniel: I don't know if you read my review but was I wrong in freaking out over that last closeup from Mia Wasikowska? She just killed me. What a perfect ending that was.
Guy: Yeah, she's terrific. Hopefully Alice doesn't damage her too much. Julianne's line reading of "But I shall return!" [edited to remove spoilers] ...just pitch-perfect coming timing. She's so rarely allowed to be that funny.
Nathaniel: I was in a weird mood when I saw it and Julianne in comedy always makes me tense. I loved the Joni Mitchell scene so much.

Annette Bening and Julianne Moore as "Nic & Jules" in The Kids Are All Right

Guy: Bening's scene on the couch reacting to [edited to remove spoilers] is one of the best things she's ever done.
Nathaniel: Yeah. And some of the little details were so funny and warm. Like the way they'd both stretch out their arms like one super-fusion mom. ha ha
Guy: I know! But that's the thing... they ARE one super-character. I think Focus needs to bite the bullet, accept that it's a two-lead Thelma & Louise type deal and let the votes fall where they may.
Nathaniel: I do too. Hey... maybe you've seen three of next year's Best Actress nominees already.
*