Tuesday, March 9, 2010

And the Winner Is... Jeff Bridges (Best Oscar Wins This Decade)

That split screen madness I did for actress and supporting actress is never as much fun for men so I'm foregoing due to time constraints. But needless to say I was very happy for Jeff Bridges (long time coming/The Dude abides), loved watching him tear up while he listened to Michelle Pfeiffer's Fabulous Baker Boys memories and I was almost even happier to see that Colin Firth (my personal fav this year) seemed so happy for Bridges, just beaming from the audience.

While we're on the subject... the film experience ballot if you could only hold the Oscars once a decade (GOD FORBID!):

Nathaniel's Choice For Best Actor 2000-2009
  • Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood (the Oscar winner)
  • Johnny Depp, Pirates of the Caribbean (nominated, lost)
  • Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain (nominated, lost) - my decade winner
  • Viggo Mortensen, Eastern Promises (nominated, lost)
  • Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler (nominated, lost)
I think that's what it would be. Hard to narrow it down that much. Depp's complete genius as Capt. Jack Sparrow has been unfortunately depreciated by calcifying returns to the same role but I will never dispute nor stand for others doubting his creativity the first time round. Maybe if reconsidered, Mortensen would have to step down for Sean Penn (Milk) or Bill Murray (Lost in Translation) or Christian Bale (American Psycho) or... well, you get the point. It's always a close call for that fifth spot.

Here's my favorite of Oscar's winners this past decade.


With apologies to Denzel Washington in Training Day... King Kong aint got shit on him. Best Actor wins are much kinder to me than Best Actress wins. Even though my #1 in any give year is almost never shared with Oscar, fairly often they do choose my 2nd or 3rd favorite of the year. And that's good enough when it comes to Oscar. How often does the Best Actor winning performance work wonders for you?


Oscars in Review: worst & weirdest moments, most wonderful moments and all 09/10 awards season posts