Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Twelve Years Ago This Week...

.

... James Cameron became the King of the World.
How have you been handling his reign? (I sent him my first born)

JA from MNPP here. Titanic swept the Oscars on March 21st, 1998. The back and forth and back and forth over the movie's worth still continues to this day - and only got reignited in recent months with Cameron's re-ascent to the top of the box office heap with Avatar, as I know y'all are only too keenly aware - but I've always been a fan. Of Titanic, that is. And all the cheesiness that non-fans decry make for my favorite bits! Kathy Bates telling Leo he shines up like a new penny. The spitting contest and the warm welcoming bosom of the simple ethnic po' folk downstairs. That scene where Frances Fisher appears to be violating her daughter while tightening her corset with violent tugs. Billy Zane's only-in-need-of-a-mustache-to-twirl performance. I love it all!

.