Sunday, March 14, 2010

Maggie & Mo

Maggie Gyllenhaal gets very excited about dancing with Madonna...

UPDATE:
The video is not embeddable despite its "code" suggesting otherwise so here's a link.

This anecdote is adorable because one should always get excited about dancing with Madonna. I shared it because I really need to rekindle my love for Maggie G. I was just really disheartened by that Crazy Heart performance of hers, first Oscar nomination aside.
I knew what the risks were with you...an' I took 'em.
But the troubles didn't begin there. Immediately before Crazy Heart I felt she was grotesquely judgemental of her character in Away We Go and that's a major turnoff for me with any actor. Inhabit them, don't judge them. Before that she was to Katie Holmes "Rachel Dawes" as The Dark Knight box office was to Batman Begins gross... which is to say quite an improvement! But still... way better than Katie Holmes? That's not saying so very much. No, Maggie hasn't truly wowed us since 2006 when she wowed us several times in a row within a very busy year (the highlight being her electric dangerous work in Sherrybaby). Where is that electric spark that her performances used to have? I don't want this new mellow Maggie. Want the earlier incarnation! Am I worrying for nothing? Talk me down in the comments.

Pssst. In a couple of days we're doing a countdown of actresses whose work we should look forward to in this new decade. Should Maggie be on the list?
*